On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 04:47:51PM -0700, "li...@lazygranch.com"
<li...@lazygranch.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to allow-list (formerly whitelist) a TLD. I have these lines
> in my postfix main.cf:
>
>   check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/client_checks,
>   check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/sender_checks,
>   check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/rbl_override,
>
> For the rbl_override file is siriusxm.com sufficient? Or do I need
> e.siriusxm.com or even r193.e.siriusxm.com?
>
> Maillog message is:
> Apr 29 17:20:46 lazygranch postfix/smtpd[10668]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> r193.e.siriusxm.com[192.243.230.193]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client
> host [192.243.230.193] blocked using zen.spamhaus.org;
> from=<bou...@e.siriusxm.com> to=<li...@lazygranch.com> proto=ESMTP
> helo=<r193.e.siriusxm.com>

man 5 postconf says:

> check_client_access type:table
>   Search the specified access database for the client hostname, parent
>   domains, client IP address, or networks obtained by stripping least
>   significant octets. See the access(5) manual page for details.

so parent domains are supported.

man 5 access defines the format of the file and shows the following
(in the HOST NAME/ADDRESS PATTERNS section) for the left hand side:

> .domain.tld
>
> Matches subdomains of domain.tld, but only when the
> string smtpd_access_maps is not listed in the Postfix
> parent_domain_matches_subdomains configuration setting.

The .domain.tld notation only covers a single level of
subdomain, but if all the rejections are from
something.e.siriusxm.com, you should only need:

  .e.siriusxm.com OK

But you might need other entries if there are other
sending hosts e.g. something.f.siriusxm.com or similar
that are being blocked by the rbl.

cheers,
raf