Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 <20230309210623.0mekl%stef...@sdaoden.eu>:
 |This is the crux with email as it is, if they would have invented
 |something MIME-alike at the very beginning, and messages would
 |really be enveloped entirely, and enveloped entirely, etc., as in
 |old times, where each wrap is verifieable by itself, and the inner
 |envelope is always (!) a constant unchanged thing, things would be
 |better.  On the other hand some graphical software seems to not
 |deal well with such message-in-message situations, and only
 |displays smoe icons, .. or whatever .. what i heard .. i do not
 |use them.

P.S.: to this the honourable John Klensin however says

  That, and some of your other comments, are closely related to
  the reasons why X.400 adopted a P1/ P2/ P3 model.  There were,
  on a couple of occasions, discussions of trying to revise
  Internet mail to use that model but, as you can probably guess,
  they went nowhere (and did so rather quickly).  So we are stuck
  with trying to depend on ordering, with discussions about
  whether non-transport information can be part of trace fields,
  etc.  Absent a good way to turn the clock back to 1981 or so, we
  are stuck in a world of sometimes-strange compromises and, while
  we might disagree on the least-bad of those compromises, we
  probably need to accept them as reality.[.]

--steffen