I tried your inline solution: it worked as expected.  I saw the mapping
happen between postfix/pickup and postfix/qmgr

I finally could get the canonical mapping to change the Return-Path (and
the Return-Path only: the From and Reply-To must be left as they are).  The
only way I found: list ALL sender email addresses in
hash:/etc/postfix/canonical.

The regexp:/etc/postfix/canonical just did not want to map reliably a
domain name to a certain Return-Path, even though I tested successfully all
regular expressions with (for example):

postmap -q "info[at]ghi.com" regexp:/etc/postfix/canonical

when used to test the file listing the following:

/@abc\.com/          address_1[at]whereto.com
/@def\.com/           address_1[at]whereto.com
/@ghi\.com/           address_2[at]whereto.com
/@jkl\.com/             address_1[at]whereto.com

Those are pretty vanilla regular expressions matching all email addresses
of the listed domains.  Why "postmap -q" and the actual sending of a
message from these domains behave differently I just don't understand.

Thank you very much for your help!  I appreciate it even more so because
this is supposed to be a long weekend (Happy Easter).