Morning,

Platform: FreeBSD v13.2
Postfix v3.7.4 (upgrading from v3.3.2)

In the further adventures of rebuilding my mail server, I now have all my
software updated and configured.  I have started postfix and it is giving
me multiple errors, but the one that is most confusing shows up as -

 Recipient address rejected: unverified address: alias database
unavailable; from=<
bounce-931_html-10333113-6259-546001510-5...@bounce.message.salliemae.com>
to=<tr...@mahan.org> proto=ESMTP helo=<mta.message.salliemae.com>

tracy is a user on the system, there is a valid account, with password.

I have the following configured for aliases -

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

allow_mail_to_commands = alias, forward

allow_mail_to_files = alias, forward

expand_owner_alias = no

local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps

newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases

My aliases file does not contain an alias for tr...@mahan.org (it never has
before).

So I am unclear as to why mail reception is failing.  This is, by the way,
happening to all local users.

I've googled, looked at the postconf man page, etc, but nothing is jumping
out at me.  There is nothing in the README files (other that some
references to virtual aliases, which I am not using).

Pointers, hints, suggestions, slaps to the back of the head are welcomed.

Thanks,

Patrick