On Sun, Jul 02, 2023 at 07:03:47PM -0400, Viktor Dukhovni via Postfix-users
wrote:

> The on-disk file format of Berkeley DB is not standardised across major
> versions.  A system upgrade may require rebuilding the aliases ".db"
> file due to an incompatible Berkeley DB driver.

I should perhaps haved mentioned (and recommended) "cdb", which I
personally instead of Berkeley DB.  With "cdb" you get a stable on-disk
format that won't change across system upgrades:

    default_database_type = cdb
    alias_database = ${indexed}aliases
    alias_maps = ${indexed}aliases
    canonical_maps = ${indexed}canonical
    smtp_tls_policy_maps = ${indexed}tls-policy
    transport_maps = ${indexed}transport
    virtual_alias_maps = ${indexed}valias
    virtual_mailbox_maps = ${indexed}vmbox

--