On Sun, Jul 02, 2023 at 06:49:53PM -0400, joe a via Postfix-users wrote:

>  > Viktor Dukhovni via Postfix-users Sun, 02 Jul 2023 14:21:52 -0700
>  >
>  >On Sun, Jul 02, 2023 at 05:11:52PM -0400, joe a via Postfix-users >wrote:
>  >
>  >> When attempting to send an email to postfix on that box, for delivery >to
>  >> the local dovecot (via lmtp), the message instead goes out to my ISP in
>  >> the fashion of currently working email se[r]ver.
>  >
>  >    https://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#mydestination
>  >    https://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#canonical
>  >    https://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#relayhost
>
> Delivery issue appears to have been to undefined relay_domains and
> relayhost.

Seems unlikely, since you were expecting final delivery on the same
machine, and that should never depend on DNS, relay_domains or
relayhost.

> I now suspect the "wrong destination" was accounted for by a postfix
> DNS lookup to resolve that on it's own?  No pun intended.

No.  If you're expecting final delivery via LMTP on the same machine,
then the recipient address needs to ultimately resove to the "local"
or "virtual mailbox" address class, and be delivered via local(8)
(possibly handing off to mailbox_transport, ...) or via
virtaul_transport (be it virtual(8) or "lmtp").

--
    Viktor.