On Sun, Jul 02, 2023 at 07:51:11PM -0400, joe a via Postfix-users wrote:

> >>   >> When attempting to send an email to postfix on that box, for delivery
> >>   >> the local dovecot (via lmtp), the message instead goes out to my ISP
> >> in
> >>   >> the fashion of currently working email se[r]ver.
> >>   >
> >>   >
> >> https://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#mydestination
> >>   >    https://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#canonical
> >>   >    https://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#relayhost

Your questions are adequately covered in the above if your needs are not
particularly sophisticated.

> Yet, my still light experience with postfix, leads me to believe
> having "relay host" undefined allows delivery to "the internet" if
> other "targets" have not been defined or "computable".
> Per docs:  relayhost =            (default: direct delivery to Internet)

As documented "relayhost", when non-empty, is the default nexthop for
*remote* deliveries.  It has no effect on local delivery (be it for
"local" or "virtual mailbox" domains) or when an explicit nexthop
is specified by other means (see second table at):

    http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#resolve

> So, since "mydestination" did not define any local domains, the next
> destination, in this case, would be "the internet".

Yes, or in Postfix terms the "default" address class and its associated
"default_transport".  The list of nexthop sources in descending
precedence order is then (from the linked table):

    transport_maps, sender_dependent_default_transport_maps,
    default_transport, sender_dependent_relayhost_maps, relayhost,
    recipient domain

Any explicit nexthop will override "relayhost", which only overrides the
implicit nexthop based on the recipient domain.

--
    Viktor.