Juerg Reimann via Postfix-users:
> Hello group
>
> I'm a bit puzzled here. I usually create new users first for
> Dovecot, then add to the configuration of Postfix the path to the
> relative maildir in virtual_mailbox_maps (the domain and other
> users for that virtual domain already exist). Now I forgot the
> last part for a couple of users I created recently, but still it
> seems everything is working fine. One new user that did not open
> his mail account so far got an email delivered just fine an Dovecot
> created all the mailbox file structure.
>
> How did Postfix find where to deliver the mail if there was no
> path for that user in virtual_mailbox_maps?
>
> If, as it seems, Postfix can construct the path by virtual_mailbox_domains
> (and maybe other variables), is there any reason why it would be
> better to still have virtual_mailbox_maps (maybe security wise)?

The Postfix SMTP server needs to know what email addresses are
ralid. Even if Postfix no longer uses the virtual_mailbox_maps
lookup result value for email delibvery, the lokup KEY is still be
needed.

You could use 'reject_unverified_recipient' to avoid explicit
enumeration of every valid user. For details, see
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/howto/postfix_dovecot_lmtp/