Wietse Venema via Postfix-users:
> Tinne11 via Postfix-users:
> > Is there some parameter which could have been named
> > enforce_mime_output_conversion in analogy to disable_mime_output_conversion
> > or some other way to configure this?
>
> It would avoid the need for (null) content filters that I discuss
> in my other response. However this is no as simple as it might
> appear to be.
>
> Presently, MIME downgrade is an after-queue feature (i.e. after
> mail is queued), implemented only in the SMTP delivery agent.
>
> On the other hand, DKIM signing must be a before-queue feature (i.e.
> before mail is queued) because the Postfix Milter implementation
> requires that Milters can make changes to queue files. Delivery
> agents must not do such things.
>
> Therefore, downgrade-before-signing would also have to be made
> available as a before-queue feature. Unfortunately I don't have the
> time for doing that.

Turns out that this required very little code (basically one boolean
configuration parameter that controls a bitfield flag that is input
to the Postfix MIME processor. Preliminary manpage text is below.

        Wietse

enforce_mime_input_conversion (default: no)
       Convert  content that claims to be 8-bit into quoted-printable, and up-
       date the correspnding Content-Transfer-Encoding: message headers.  This
       conversion  happens  before  header_checks,  before body_checks, before
       storing a message in the mail queue, and before applying Milters.

       The typical use case is an MTA that signs outbound messages  after  the
       8-bit  to  quoted-printable conversion, so that the signatures will re-
       main valid when a message is handled by an MTA that does  not  announce
       8BITMIME support.

       This feature is available in Postfix >= 3.9.