On Mon, Sep 04, 2023 at 05:08:15PM -0400, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users wrote:

> Viktor Dukhovni via Postfix-users:
> > On Mon, Sep 04, 2023 at 12:18:38PM -0400, Viktor Dukhovni via Postfix-users
> > wrote:
> >
> > > It is best to enable this for outbound mail only, i.e. messages that
> > > arrive on the submission ports or through local submission via
> > > sendmail(1)->postdrop(1)->pickup(8).  That way, inbound 8bit mail will
> > > not fail DKIM signature checks.
> > >
> > > One way to do that is to tweak the master.cf file to match the below:
> > >
> > >     $ postconf -P '*/inet/enforce_mime_input_conversion'
> > >     smtps/inet/enforce_mime_input_conversion = yes
> > >     submission/inet/enforce_mime_input_conversion = yes
> > >
> > >     $ postconf -Mf pickup/unix cleanups/unix
> > >     pickup     unix  n       -       n       60      1       pickup
> > >         -o cleanup_service_name=cleanups
> > >     cleanups   unix  n       -       n       -       0       cleanup
> > >         -o enforce_mime_input_conversion=yes
> > >
> > > [ Your service name for wrapper-mode SMTP on port 465 may be
> > >   "submissions" or just "465", ... The "cleanups" service entry
> > >   is a clone of the "cleanup" entry with a tweak. ]
> >
> > Note, this was with the 3.9-20230901 snapshot, the "en" in "enforce_..."
> > was dropped in 3.9-20230903.
>
> I agree that the manpage text is not yet complete, and that this
> feature needs a good example.

And, I must admit to not thinking through my example config.  The
submission settings are not effective, because smtpd(8) does not
implement this feature, like pickup(8) these also would have needed a
"-o cleanup_service_name" override.  Wietse's "converse" example (with
input MIME conversion on by default) is simpler.

All the more reason to consider multiple instances or, at scale, separate
MTAs.

I do wonder however whether DKIM signing of bounces is always a good
idea.  Some of the bounced messages will include remote content that may
be spam, and one might not want to tarnish one own domain's reputation
by signing it.

A cautious configuration might be to bounce only the message headers by
setting "bounce_size_limit = 1" on inbound MTAs.  For outbound MTAs,
full content bounces are friendlier to users who might not have retained
a copy of the sent message.  Such courtesies are less compelling for
bounces to remote senders.

--
    Viktor.