This does sound like a job for PostGIS raster in v2.0.  I hope to do the
same in the near future.  You can query values (ST_Value) and perform other
functions listed here

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/RT_reference.html

Generating maps from PostGIS rasters would come through GDAL (MapServer,
Quantum GIS) and others.

- John

***********************************
John Callahan, Research Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey
University of Delaware
URL: http://www.dgs.udel.edu
*******************************


On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Stephen Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do I best use gridded data in postgres-postgis (I've only used vector
> data before)?
>
> I want to use daily weather variables that are in a grid for USA.  I would
> want store the daily variables ( a new grid each day) so I can have a
> database that will allow the client to send a point lat/lon and then return
> a calculation based on a few days worth of two or three variables.
>
> Do I store each day (or variable) as a new table?  How does a grid get
> stored in postgres?  Is this a job for PostGIS Raster (though I do not want
> to produce images, just queries at a point)?
>
> Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
>
> --
> Stephen Crawford
> Center for Environmental Informatics
> The Pennsylvania State University
> [email protected]
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> postgis-users mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users
>
_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
[email protected]
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users

Reply via email to