Great info, thanks a lot.

If you think it best to store each weather variable in a separate table, then I imagine that would be by date too, i.e. a table named "max_temp_05_09_2011" or something like that?

Thanks,
Steve

On 5/9/2011 11:55 AM, Pierre Racine wrote:
I want to use daily weather variables that are in a grid for USA.  I
would want store the daily variables ( a new grid each day) so I can
have a database that will allow the client to send a point lat/lon and
then return a calculation based on a few days worth of two or three
variables.

Do I store each day (or variable) as a new table?  How does a grid get
stored in postgres?  Is this a job for PostGIS Raster (though I do not
want to produce images, just queries at a point)?
Hi Steve,

PostGIS with the raster extension is just the right tool to do that. I would 
recommend to store each weather variable in a separate table.

To tile (with the raster2pgsal.py -k option) or not to tile your rasters 
depends on their size. Generally it is better to tile them.

Assuming your rasters are in a geographic coordinate system, you can then query 
the temperature for a lat/long like this (if they are tiled):

SELECT ST_Value(rast, ST_MakePoint(lat, long) as temp
FROM yourrastertable
WHERE ST_Intersects(rast, ST_MakePoint(lat, long))

Just omit the WHERE clause if you don't tile them when loading.

Try also:

SELECT ST_Value(rast, ST_MakePoint(lat, long) as temp
FROM yourrastertable
WHERE ST_DWithin(rast, ST_MakePoint(lat, long), 0)

Which might be faster...

Please refer to the PostGIS Raster tutorials:

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/WKTRaster

Pierre
_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
[email protected]
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users

--
Stephen Crawford
Center for Environmental Informatics
The Pennsylvania State University
[email protected]
814.865.9905


_______________________________________________
postgis-users mailing list
[email protected]
http://postgis.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/postgis-users

Reply via email to