Thanks for the hand-holding, Sheri <g>.  I'm not all that knowledgeable about 
many Windows things despite the many years I've been at this.
I stumbled upon the commandline help re PPro that described exactly what you 
say below, so I think I've finally grasped something - seems like a lot of 
commandline things can be used in shortcuts.  I think I'm finally making that 
connection since this is the second time I've seen commandline used in 
shortcuts.  Way kewl.

Well, this worked like a charm.  I have a separate folder that I labelled 
"0-OtherConfigs" so that it's at the top of the folder list and inside I have 
"Notes.pcf".  What could be simpler!!??  Can't believe how easy this turned out 
to be <g>.  Bet you hear that all the time.

So I'm all set - in my quicklaunch bar, I have a nice shortcut labelled 
"Stickie Notes".  It's PowerPro which I set up with everything to do with 
notes, only.  Then once opened, I just have to hit Ctrl+Alt+N to get a new 
note.  I found that the powerpro.exe file contains a nice stickie notes icon, 
so I set it to that icon in the shortcut.  

I've used the notes feature for years even if infrequently because it was not a 
small, separate instance like this.  So the _only_ thing I can say that is 
wrong with the feature is that it dumps the first note smack dab in the middle 
of the screen.  I've played around with the settings on more than one occasion, 
but if I want stacking, which I do, I can't get it to start anywhere but there 
in the middle of the screen.  Almost not worth mentioning and this is just an 
aside, because PowerPro's stickie notes is so damned near perfect, I can live 
with that slight imperfection.  So none of the other options stack.  If you say 
you want the upper left-hand corner, they'll all open in exactly the same spot. 
 I don't like that location anyway.  So middle of the screen it is.  Like I 
said, PPro's is damned near perfect.  And that's saying a lot since over the 
years I've tried about 30-50 stickie notes programs and always discarded them 
for one reason or another
 since they can't do all at once what PPro's does.  Now that I have this 
feature, need never look for another one _ever_ again!

Thanks.  :oD

p.s., I'll definitely check out the new version.  I don't update often since 
what I have  has usu. been more than good enough and sometimes updates break 
what you've got.  But if there are notes improvements, definitely want to check 
that out.  Thx.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]on
Behalf Of Sheri
Sent: Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:14
To: [email protected]
Subject: [power-pro] Re: One last question today, way to run a separate
pcf w/o having a whole other copy of PPro folder?


--- In [email protected], "W.M. Mitchell" <mitchellw...@...>
wrote:
>

[snip]

> Was just wondering if there was an easier way to have done this
without running a separate "instance" of PPro.  Perhaps there is a way
to run the pcf remotely or somesuch where it would still be completely
independent of the main PPro bar that I use.  That way stickies only

[snip]

> Thanks.  :oD

You can have separate pcf files in your PowerPro folder or in their
own data folders. In the windows shortcuts you use to start PowerPro,
just put the pcf file name as an argument to powerpro.exe. E.g.:

"C:\Program Files\PowerPro\PowerPro.exe" "C:\myseparate\pcf.pcf"

If you are already running PowerPro and want to switch to another pcf,
you can do it with *Exec ChangeConfiguration, but I prefer to shutdown
PowerPro and start the other pcf with its own windows shortcut. That
way I start the pcf "clean".

All pcf files stored in a particular folder (including the application
folder) share the same environment for notes, scripts, and any tracked
items (such as clips or favorites). But there is no need for duplicate
copies of the application exe, dll, etc., files.

I would strongly reccommend updating to the latest version of
PowerPro. There have been substantial improvements and many fixes
since the version you're using. Also since you use Notes, you might
like to try the Notes menu I posted a few months ago in the Yahoo
group Files area:

<http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/power-pro/files/Scripts/NoteButtonMenu.zip>

Regards,
Sheri


      

Reply via email to