You know, I kind of like this idea of blocking the pop ups by listing them in
the hosts file. While Web Washer works it's slow because it's creating a
proxy server. This hosts blocking method doesn't slow anything down. Might
not catch everything but I can live with that.

Depends on your definition of 'slow' since you have to dispose of all those
"site not found"-type errors that popup.

- Eric.

In OS X this is not a problem, I don't get "Site Not Found" errors with either Mozilla Firebird or Safari. In OS 9 it might be, however. But I read an article about hosts-file blocking a while ago and it says you can get a clean look by creating a simple, blank HTML file on your computer and having all the unwanted ads be replaced with this blank page instead of a 404 page. I have no idea how to do that, because it was a while ago and I wasn't "in the know" back then, but maybe it involves Personal Web Sharing? Anyway, good luck.

Luca