Well, whatever, I relaunched PM again and the weirdness appears to have
vanished. I'm back to having a regular Quit at the bottom of the dock menu.

Perhaps not unconnected, the reason that I relaunched PM was because I
minimised the Recent Mail window to the dock, and it didn't want to come
out again. Pressing Cmd-Ctrl-R called a second instance of the RM window
(leaving the original one wedged in the dock), and at that point I
thought that things had gotten wiggy enough and just restarted Powermail.

Perhaps the Force Quit thing was due to a window management error
waiting to happen?

Anyway, it's all sweet now.
Rick
--
G5 2GHz x2  ::  2GB RAM  ::  10.4.7  ::  PM 5.2.3  ::  3 pane mode

Shark Attack: A Design Studio
<www.sharkattack.co.uk>