Mikael,

there are 2 approaches to solve multi-language problems:

- Unicode in different variants. This requires a unicode font.
Unicode text is usually much bigger than normal text, because you need
up to 4 characters to encode one letter.
Unicode fonts are also much bigger than normal fonts, because they
include thousands a characters from different writing systems, like arab
or chinese.

- you use script-based system, which is using different scripts and code
pages for different languages. This requires different fonts (Osaka for
Japanese for example) for every language. This is what the wast text
engine is doing.

For more information on that stuff you can read:
<http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html>

All the best

Matthias

Admilon Consulting GmbH