I do understand the notion, though, even your hard drive isn't big
enough to keep all what you do from all the years past and current on 1
drive. Well, at least not if you in graphics with big images and 3D and
animation etc. - So things have to get archived or tossed or new,
additional hard drives need to be bought and installed.

Not even Google goes over the 2 gig storage per user... and it heavily
advertises as "access ALL your mail in one spot" - with other words,
probably most of us are pack rats and even keep stuff around they'll
NEVER use again - for example, my archives have harvested messages from
tons of list servers with software questions relating to software
versions so long gone, I'd have to bring up my 840 AV and system 7 just
to be able to load it - but still, I have it in my archives.

Cleaning household and archiving is a good thing, the bigger the
accumulation, the longer searches take because it constantly has to sift
though old stuff and also indexing gets slower the bigger the database.
Even memories we categorize into "childhood" etc., so why not pack old
email into the memory slot called "archive"? I do a cleanup about 1x a
year - it's like spring cleaning and keeps my databases sane.

---marlyse

------------ former message(s) quotes: -------------