It's a puzzler, no doubt about it.
I've tried both my earlier script and the one you kindly supplied,
putting each at the top of the filter list with the settings that you
specified. I also tried each one with the following:

Act on: Incoming mail
Condition = attachment size > 0k
Action = execute Applescript
[DO pass this message to subsequent filters].

Act on: Incoming mail
Condition = Always
Action = execute Applescript
[DO pass this message to subsequent filters].

(Actually I had never noticed the Applescript option as a filter
*condition* before. How does that work? I mean, how is 'Applescript' a
true or false condition?)

In each case, I got the same result: if I *deactivated* the filters
further down the list that move the attachment into a folder other than
the default attachment folder, then both the scripts would run fine. But
if any filters further down the list *did* move the attachment then the
scripts would fail (silently).

CheshireKat, did any of your subsequent filters *move* the attachments
that the script was acting upon? If they did and the script still runs
okay then there may be something specific to my setup.

I think that some clarification from CTM would be useful here, because
it would appear that we (the users) are misunderstanding the way
Applescript and PM interact in this instance.

Rick
--
G5 2GHz x2  ::  2GB RAM  ::  10.4.7  ::  PM 5.5.2  ::  3 pane mode