Dave N said:

>Maybe because that's how Claris EMailer did it?  ;-)

Well, I unlearned this gruesome habit a long time ago and decided way
ahead of OS X to separate apps from data. I had my Emailer folder also
in my data area already under OS 9, not in the apps folder.
However, the OS X user folder was something that I hadn't thought of
then and I adopted this sound approach during the public betas of OS X.
I just prefer to not intermingle different types of stuff together,
because I want to be able to toss out apps without much detailed thought
on what to keep or not. Apps can be reinstalled, data cannot (unless you
keep minute backups). I want all my data in one place, so I don't have
to tell my backup app just where I put my files this time. Under one
point (the user folder), no matter where I put stuff it *will* be backed
up (though I don't backup caches and the like). If I make new folder, it
will be backed up. If I move stuff it will be backed up.

I usually put things I want to keep that the app uses under the name of
the app in question in my users library folder, sometimes under
application support or in Powermail's case directly under my user home
folder ie "~/PowerMail Files". The stuff that I actually produce myself
I always put in appropriately named subject folders under "~/Documents"
except for some music stuff that go directly in to the music folder and
pictures (guess).

I can see the value of keeping app and data together if you move your
files around a lot. But except for the knowledgeable user, like Tom, for
which I'm sure this arrangement works fine, I see little value in
widespread use of this approach.

Mikael

Tech facts:
PM 5.5.3 Swedish/SpamSieve 2.6.4 Swedish | OS X 10.4.8 | Powerbook
G4/400 Mhz | 1GB RAM | 80GB HD