MB wrote:

>However, I renewed the settings for enabling POP also for messages that
>have been already downloaded. This is a possible culprit. PM and gmail
>obviously don't agree on what messages that have been downloaded because
>of PM prematurely disconnecting and the gmail servers may have recorded
>that all messages have been offered already and missed that the
>connection was dropped.

It seems you have a misunderstanding of the "retrieve messages left on
the server again" option of PowerMail. It will re-retrieve messages that
Powermail has already retrieved on this account, but not deleted from
the server. It has nothing to do with the "read flag" that gmail has on
the server side, as this notion is not part of the POP3 protocol. Gmail
does not know which messages have been downloaded by PowerMail. This
option should only be used in some special circumstances:

- messages are identified on the server side by a unique ID, but there
may be some rare circumstances were some POP server re-use a (not-so)
unique ID for a different message; in this case, PowerMail could miss
some messages, thinking they have already been downloaded. In this
situation, if you have configured PowerMail to *not* leave messages on
the server, you can enable the "retrieve messages left on the server
again" to be sure that no message will ever be missed.

- if you have accidentally deleted some messages, and want to re-
download them. In this case, however, you will get duplicates for
messages still present on the server and locally.

Jérôme - CTM Engineering

   "I have a variety of indexing and searching tools: Spotlight, PathFinder,
    EagleFiler. Foxtrot is just head and shoulders ahead of everything else
    in capability. It finds every instance of a search term within a document
    and highlights them and allows you to jump from instance to instance and
    even gives a popup menu that shows all the instances in a short context."
  FoxTrot Personal Search user comment on www.versiontracker.com

         Download a demo version from www.foxtrot.ch