Matthias Schmidt wrote:

>that's the problem, I suspect the index file.
>
>it happened out of the blue before and after the rebuilt.
>During the first rebuilt PM crashed then I changed the .old file names
>back and rebuilt again including index files, then I get the error again.

Try to launch PowerMail with the command and option keys pressed, and check
"temporarily disable scheduled connections". You can also try the last two
checkboxes to reset preferences. If PowerMail starts successfully, perform
"archive and cleanup" (menu file / database) to copy your message and settings
in a new clean environment.

Jérôme - CTM Engineering

   "The enterprise intranet search space has been a tough one for us to
    figure out, so we are grateful to have a Mac developer provide such
    a compelling alternative to the overpriced Google Search Appliance."
  FoxTrot Search Server user comment

         Download a demo version from www.foxtrot.ch