Mac OS X version: Mac OS X 10.6

I have been having an issue on my laptop, a newer MacBook Pro that is
running Mavericks.

Don't know why, but all of a sudden I was experiencing hangs galore. So I
upgraded to the beta "PowerMail pm6.2b5" and got things working, but today I
was notified of the upgrade to "PowerMail 6.2.1 build 4668", and because
"PowerMail 6.2.1 build 4668" appeared to be working fine on my desktop iMac
(same ISP and network), I let it install, and now it's back to downloading
mail, but then not making any progress, just the spinning beach ball, and
then I have to force quit. This is very unusual behavior. Any suggestions or
help would be appreciated.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM