Joel,
We are transitioning to Radio Active Designs communications. Our IT and
Engineering were unaware of the consequences of the FCC auction as well. I have
contacted Telex and found that there are a few models that remain unaffected by
the auction (The operating frequencies of the equipment may or may not fall in
the ranges that have been auctioned). However, all models of Telex in use at
Summer Station will eventually be illegal to use (This information was verified
by Telex personnel). The timeline depends on how quickly the companies that
purchased the bands begin to put them in use in proximity to your station. They
are only required to provide a general notice to the area 30 days prior to
implementation. Anyone found using equipment that operates in the frequencies
auctioned after that point may be subject to hefty fines. Therefore, we have
already started our transition.

Telex has stated that they plan on producing new systems that better comply
with post-auction regulations. However, I recommend the Radio Active Design
System. The features surpass those of the traditional Telex and Tempest
Systems, and they were designed to meet FCC requirements post-auction. We are
currently in the process of performing a frequency study with this equipment to
verify that there will be no interference with plant equipment.

Brian Owens
V. C. Summer Nuclear Station
Health Physics
(803)931-5403