Crisis centers to be built in risk areas with French support 
Syofiardi Bachyul Jb, The Jakarta Post, Padang

The government has commenced the construction of crisis centers for natural 
disaster mitigation in Jakarta, West Sumatra and Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam with 
assistance from the French government.

The Natural Disaster Operation Control Centers are being built by the National 
Disaster Mitigation Coordination Agency (Bakornas BP) at a cost of 5.1 million 
euro (approximately US$6.68 million). 

Tabrani, an official from the agency, said in an introductory meeting about the 
program in Padang, West Sumatra, on the weekend that the locations for the 
centers were selected because they are areas most at risk of disaster, 
especially threats of earthquakes and tsunamis. 

"The government wants similar facilities to be built in all provinces 
throughout Indonesia, which has been referred to as a disaster supermarket. 
However, due to the limited availability of funds, initially these facilities 
will be built in three provinces," Tabrani said. 

He said the development of the facilities was aided by a memorandum of 
understanding signed with the French government in July 2005. 

Assistance totaling 5.1 million euro was given to Indonesia by the French 
government in the form of equipment and management assistance for disaster 
prevention efforts, he said. 

"The equipment for the disaster centers will be ready soon and in Jakarta the 
construction of the facility started on May 25. In Padang (West Sumatra) 
construction will commence on June 18 and in Banda Aceh it will commence as 
soon as the center in Padang is completed," he said. 

In Padang, the facility will be built behind the West Sumatra governor's 
office. Computer facilities in the three centers will be linked online to the 
Bakornas BP headquarters in Jakarta. Over 35 managers have been trained to 
handle programs in the three provinces, and 25 operators for each province will 
also be trained. 

Bruno Maestracci, international project manager for the French government, said 
at least three officials to be in charge of managing the three centers had been 
invited to France to observe similar systems there. 

Maestracci said the establishment of the centers was expected to help speed up 
the provision of information to enable governors to take accurate and effective 
action in times of emergency. 

Governors and local administrators will be able to see incidents occurring in 
real time, thereby enabling them to send information to the central data 
collection agency, he said. 

Maestracci said the system was designed so as authorities would be able to more 
quickly anticipate disruptions. If the primary system using the internet and 
free telephone lines was out of order, a second system using GSM networks could 
be used. If both were out of order, a third system using satellite technology 
was available, he said. 

Each quake-proof facility will be equipped with five computer units and radio 
communication networks, he said, adding that they will be backed up by a 
technical room, which will be used to compile relevant data on a daily basis. 

"However, the most important aspect among all of this is good data 
coordination, so if there is a disaster, everything will be ready," Maestracci 
said.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20070528.G01&irec=0

Kirim email ke