PPIG Meetings, 2011: preliminary announcement to help people plan their year

As usual there will be two meetings in 2011, both in England this year.

(1) The main PPIG workshop will be held on 6-8 Sep 2011 in the University of York, chaired by Alistair Edwards and Thomas Green.

York University's verdant campus hosts a fine collection of waterfowl and extremely successful departments of computer science and psychology. The city's proud history stars the pyrotechnic enthusiast Guy Fawkes, born in several places in the city; Richard III, notable breeder of roses but unlucky on the horses; and Richard (Dick) Turpin, inspector of highways. Curiously, all of them came to a sticky end.

There'll be a doctoral consortium as usual. We can't tell you anything yet about invited speakers, technical committee, or anything of substance. We'll set up a blog or a twitter feed or something.

York is easily reached by train and road. For further details see the university website, http://www.york.ac.uk/about/

(2) There will also be a short work-in-progress PPIG meeting, to be held at Sheffield Hallam University (http://www.shu.ac.uk/ ), 18-19 April, chaired by Chris Roast.

These WIP-PPIGs are intended to allow constructive criticism of part- finished work or even hardly-begun work. They are run very cheaply to encourage student participation. Refereeing is very light, because we're trying to be helpful. Come along, you'll enjoy it - talk about your unfinished work. If you've only got finished work, throw a bit away and come along anyway.

CALLS FOR PAPERS for both these meetings will be made as soon as we get ourselves organised. Until then requests for information are best sent to (1) Thomas Green, st...@greenery.me.uk, and (2) Chris Roast, c.r.ro...@shu.ac.uk . They will try to be helpful.

Thomas Green

Visiting Professor
University of York

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity
in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).