MIT's X-Tutor has public sources and used to have reasonable documentation on how to write modules. It's never been finally released to the outside world, but Chris Terman (it's originator) would probably be very interested in hearing about experimental use of it.

Google brings up the following link:
http://icampus.mit.edu/xTutor/

William Billingsley