On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:49 AM, alex <a...@slab.org> wrote:
> 2010/1/22 Alan Blackwell <af...@cam.ac.uk>:
>> I think Dijkstra said a number of things suggesting he didn't have
>> particularly profound insights into either human cognition, or human use of
>> language. He was a brilliant computer scientist, and in my experience,
>> brilliant computer scientists quite often think about things differently to
>> how most people do. When he says things about computation, algorithms, or
>> formal proof, we should listen carefully to what he says. When he says
>> things about metaphor, we should be a little more careful.
>
> Yes, well put.

and yet it was Dijkstra who wrote:

"...whereas machines must be able to execute programs (without
understanding them), people must be able to understand them (without
executing them). These two activities are so utterly disconnected --
the one can take place without the other..."

so perhaps he understood something about use of metaphor.

sincerely.