> Sherry Turkle's new book "Alone Together" raises an important point that
> is missing from this discussion.

It isn't, actually.  That's precisely what I was talking about when I said
that programming notations are "extremely limited".

> Computer programming languages are not languages in any way that is
> important or meaningful.

I don't feel that that statement gets us anywhere.  Generating and
comprehending
source code uses mental capacities that have at the least a considerable
overlap
with the mental capacities used in writing and reading.

I'd rather argue about semantics than words.
So let's coin a term that we might be able to agree on.
Let's say that English and COBOL are both quasi-linguistic communication
systems, where "quasi-linguistic" involves

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).