Dear All,
I went through one of the suggested papers about self-efficacy (Self-efficacy and mental models in learning to program, Ramalingam et al, 2004). Unfortunately I'm at present totally unable to understand the final results (path analysis of the model):

post Self-Efficacy (R2 = .44) ==23*==> Performance - Grade (R2 = .30)
Mental Model (R2 = .05) ==.40*==> Performance - Grade (R2 = .30)

The paper says that "both what student know, as represented by their internal mental model, and what they believe about themselves, as represented by their self-efficacy, affect their performance in the course."

Is there a naive way of rephrasing the 23* and .40* weights on the arrows from "post Self-Efficacy" to "Performance - Grade" and from "Mental Model" to "Performance - Grade"? I mean, in terms of percentages, meaningfulness or other.

Thanks in advance for all the help you keep giving me

Stefano

Stefano Federici
Università degli Studi di Cagliari
Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Dipartimento di Scienze Pedagogiche e Filosofiche
Via Is Mirrionis 1, 09123 Cagliari, Italia
Cell: +39 349 818 1955 Tel.: +39 070 675 7815
Fax: +39 070 675 7113

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity
in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).