Hi Chris,

Jon Rimmer and I presented two papers at PPIG in 2011 which might be relevant
(the second one in particular):

Class participation and shyness: affect and learning to program [short paper]
Jon Rimmer, Judith Good, Eric Harris and Madeline Balaam

Self-Reporting emotional experiences in computing lab sessions: an emotional
regulation perspective
Judith Good, Jon Rimmer, Eric Harris and Madeline Balaam

If you don't have a copy of the proceedings, let me know and I'll send you
these papers.

Cheers,
Judith