RAFAH, Gaza Strip - A 3-year-old Palestinian girl was shot and killed 
in this refugee camp on Saturday, the fifth day of Israeli searches 
and house demolitions that a senior U.N. official condemned 
as "completely, completely unacceptable." 

In the West Bank, meanwhile, four people were wounded when a suicide 
bomber blew himself up near an Israeli army checkpoint. 

Israeli troops entered the outskirts of the southern Gaza town of 
Rafah overnight, pressing their offensive in search of arms-smuggling 
tunnels and militants. The military said 90 tunnels have been found 
and destroyed since 2000, though only one has been discovered during 
the current operation. 

On Friday, the army pulled back from two neighborhoods of the refugee 
camp next to the town, leaving behind dozens of damaged or destroyed 
buildings, torn-up roads and flattened cars. The army said it was 
redeploying forces and the offensive would continue. 

Forty-one Palestinians have been killed since "Operation Rainbow" 
began Tuesday, including gunmen and eight demonstrators hit by a tank 
shell during a protest march. 

A 3-year-old girl was shot dead Saturday in the camp's Brazil 
neighborhood, from which troops had withdrawn the day before, 
Palestinian hospital officials said. Relatives said Rawan Mohammed 
Abu Zeid was killed by a gunshot to the head as she walked to a shop. 

"We were playing in the house when she told me she wanted some 
candy," said her brother Diyab Abu Zeid, 19, crying uncontrollably on 
the telephone. "The older kids in the neighborhood were going to the 
store so I let her go with them. 

"There was no one in the street but the kids, not even other adults," 
he added. 

The army said it had no reports of shots being fired in the area. 

Israeli tanks, bulldozers and jeeps moved overnight into a sparsely 
populated area at the eastern entrance to Rafah town, witnesses and 
Palestinian security officials said. Witnesses said the army used 
loudspeakers to tell male residents to come out of their homes. The 
army had no immediate comment. 

Farmer Barak Abu Halaweh, 40, said armored vehicles flattened 
vegetable greenhouses and chicken coops and ordered him and his 
family of 15 to leave their house for three days. 

Rafah camp's Tel Sultan neighborhood, one of the worst-affected 
areas, remained without water and electricity, and sewage flooded the 
streets. 

The Red Cross said the Israeli army had allowed engineers into the 
area to restore water and sewage-treatment facilities. 

Despite sporadic gunfire, camp residents took advantage of the lull 
in fighting to retrieve possessions from demolished homes. A few 
shops opened so that residents could stock up, and people ventured 
tentatively outside, waving white flags and strips of cloth. 

While the army vowed to continue the incursion, Israeli officials 
indicated they were looking for an alternative to the mass demolition 
of Palestinian homes. 

A key objective of the military operation is the widening of an 
Israeli patrol road between Rafah and the Egyptian border, which 
would make it more difficult for weapons smugglers to dig tunnels. 

Widening the road would require the demolition of dozens of 
Palestinian houses, a plan criticized by the United Nations (news - 
web sites), the European Union (news - web sites) and the United 
States. 

Peter Hansen, head of the U.N. Relief and Works Agency, toured a 
street littered with clothes, mattresses and the collapsed corrugated 
tin roofs of devastated houses. Some Palestinians have said house 
demolitions have occurred with residents still inside. 

"I think that the destruction is probably even worse than I've 
seen ... and is indeed completely, completely unacceptable," Hansen 
said. "The destruction is unacceptable, but the destruction of these 
places with people inside, putting their lives at risk, is just not 
acceptable." 

Over the past 10 days, including a brief Israeli incursion into Rafah 
last week, 1,650 Palestinians have been made homeless, Hansen said, 
compared with more than 11,000 Rafah residents left homeless from 
Israeli demolitions since 2000. 

Municipal officials said at least 43 homes have been demolished and 
dozens more damaged in the camp this week. The army said five houses 
were demolished after they were used as cover by militants to attack 
troops. 

Army spokeswoman Maj. Sharon Feingold said troops had 
detained "dozens" of Palestinians, including suspected senior 
militants, and killed a local leader of the armed group Hamas. 

During more than three years of Palestinian-Israeli violence, Israeli 
forces have made dozens of forays into the Rafah camp to destroy 
tunnels used to smuggle weapons across the nearby Egyptian border. 

Palestinian officials said Egyptian intelligence chief Omar Suleiman 
would meet Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) on 
Monday, presumably to discuss the crisis in Rafah. Israel has accused 
Egypt of not doing enough to halt the smuggling across its border 
with Gaza. 

The suicide bomber blew himself up at an Israeli army checkpoint east 
of the West Bank city of Nablus Saturday, killing himself and 
wounding one soldier and three Palestinians, the Israeli military and 
paramedics said. 

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine militant group 
claimed responsibility for the bombing in a call to The Associated 
Press, calling it a response to the Rafah incursion. The group said 
the bomber was a 19-year-old man from Nablus. 



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/BRUplB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

***************************************************************************
Berdikusi dg Santun & Elegan, dg Semangat Persahabatan. Menuju Indonesia yg Lebih 
Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.arsip.da.ru
***************************************************************************
__________________________________________________________________________
Mohon Perhatian:

1. Harap tdk. memposting/reply yg menyinggung SARA (kecuali sbg otokritik)
2. Pesan yg akan direply harap dihapus, kecuali yg akan dikomentari.
3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru; 
4. Posting: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
5. Satu email perhari: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
6. No-email/web only: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
7. kembali menerima email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ppiindia/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Kirim email ke