Baghdad Car Bombing Kills 10, Injures 40

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A suicide attacker detonated a massive car bomb 
Wednesday at a checkpoint near the British Embassy and headquarters 
of the interim Iraqi government, killing at least 10 people and 
wounding 40, including a U.S. soldier, authorities said. 

Later Wednesday, insurgents killed the governor of the northern city 
of Mosul as his convoy was traveling to Baghdad, an Interior Ministry 
official said. Attackers approached the convoy of Gov. Youssef 
Kashmola about 60 miles south of Mosul, an Iraqi Interior Ministry 
official said while speaking on condition of anonymity. 

It was not immediately clear how Kashmola was killed. 

The suicide attack was the worst in Baghdad since the United States 
transferred sovereignty to the interim Iraqi government on June 28. 

Hours earlier, the Philippines said it had begun withdrawing its 
small peacekeeping contingent from Iraq (news - web sites), an 
apparent bid to placate militants who threatened to kill a Filipino 
hostage if the troops were not out by July 20. 

Underscoring the urgency of the Philippines' predicament, militants 
in Iraq said they had killed a captive Bulgarian truck driver and 
threatened to put another Bulgarian hostage to death in 24 hours, Al-
Jazeera television reported Wednesday. 

The explosion shook buildings throughout central Baghdad at about 
9:15 a.m., when a suicide bomber detonated a car packed with 1,000 
pounds of explosives. The bomb killed four Iraqi national guardsmen 
and seven Iraqi civilians, the U.S. military said. Many of the 
civilians were waiting in line to apply for jobs, presumably with the 
new Iraqi government or multinational forces. 

"We were thrown on the ground. Then I saw many dead people on the 
ground," witness Alla Hassan said. 

The U.S. military said 11 people were killed in the blast. The Iraqi 
Health Ministry said 10 were killed. 

Black and gray smoke billowed from the blast site, leaving a crater 
two yards wide and a yard deep in the road. The charred remains of 
five cars stood by a protective blast wall that had been partially 
destroyed. Two other trucks and a car lay smoldering nearby. Police 
cars and ambulances raced to the scene, and U.S. helicopters hovered 
overhead. 

The attack targeted a checkpoint leading to a parking lot in the area 
formerly known as the "Green Zone," the heavily protected Baghdad 
neighborhood housing government offices and the U.S. and British 
embassies, Iraqi police Col. Tawfeeq Sayer said. 

"This is a naked aggression against the Iraqi people. We will bring 
these criminals to justice," interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said 
during a visit to the scene. 

Allawi said the attack was retaliation for the government's arrest of 
suspected terrorists, though he offered no details on suspects. The 
government said Tuesday it had arrested more than 500 suspected 
criminals in a police sweep of militants in Baghdad. 

The blast occurred on a national holiday marking the 46th anniversary 
of the bloody nationalist coup that killed Iraq's last king, Faisal 
II. 

One American soldier was slightly wounded, said Col. Mike Murray of 
the 1st Cavalry Division. 

A Reuters driver suffered a shrapnel wound in the leg, agency 
spokeswoman Susan Allsopp said from London. The driver's condition 
was not considered serious. 

The attack followed a period of relative quiet in Baghdad, but 
insurgents in other parts of Iraq remained active, continuing to 
attack U.S. and Iraqi forces and take hostages. 

Kidnappers holding the Filipino, Angelo dela Cruz, said they would 
treat him like a prisoner of war if Manila made a good-faith move 
toward withdrawing its 51 troops early and would free him if the 
pullout was completed by July 20. The government statement Wednesday 
did not clarify when the pullout would be finished but appeared 
directed toward that demand. 

"The Foreign Affairs Ministry is coordinating the pullout of the 
humanitarian contingent with the Ministry of National Defense," the 
statement said. "As of today, our head count is down from 51 to 43." 

The government was already set to withdraw its troops Aug. 20. A full 
withdrawal before then would be a major blow to the unity of U.S.-led 
coalition in Iraq. 

The statement was vague, following a pattern of unclear statements as 
the Philippines has tried to both save dela Cruz and avoid the 
impression that it's giving in. 

Dela Cruz's family celebrated the announcement, and a Philippine 
official in Baghdad said there was no longer any risk of him being 
executed. 

Roy Cimatu, Manila's special envoy for the Middle East, said 
Wednesday that the hostage was reported "alive and well" by 
Philippine officials negotiating for his release. 

There was no immediate U.S. response to the latest announcement, but 
U.S. officials had earlier expressed displeasure that Manila was even 
considering caving in to the kidnappers' demand, a position echoed by 
Australia and Iraq's new interim government. 

A deadline set by the Iraqi Islamic Army-Khaled bin Al-Waleed Corps 
for the Philippines to meet its troop withdrawal demand expired 
earlier this week, but negotiations continued in Iraq through 
intermediaries, the Philippines said. 

Another group linked to Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi said 
in a video broadcast Wednesday on Al-Jazeera that it had carried out 
its threat to kill a Bulgarian truck driver it was holding. 

The Tawhid and Jihad group said it would kill a second Bulgarian it 
was holding within 24 hours if the United States did not release all 
Iraqi detainees. 

Three men with their faces covered by black masks stood over a 
kneeling hostage, identified by reporters as Georgi Lazov, 30. The 
video contained the killing but it was not broadcast because it was 
too graphic, said Al-Jazeera spokesman Jihad Ballout. Al-Jazeera 
later reported the man's throat was slit. 

The militant group earlier claimed responsibility for beheading 
American businessman Nicholas Berg and South Korean translator Kim 
Sun-il. It is also blamed for attacks that killed 100 people ahead of 
the transfer of power to Iraqis last month. 

Bulgaria identified the other hostage as Ivaylo Kepov. The two were 
kidnapped while traveling to Mosul in northern Iraq. They were last 
heard from June 29. 

Bulgaria, which has a 480-member infantry battalion in Iraq, had sent 
diplomats to Iraq to try to negotiate the men's freedom. 

Also, an insurgent group holding an Egyptian driver demanded 
Wednesday that the Saudi company he works for pull out of Iraq within 
72 hours, Al-Jazeera reported. The group did not issue a specific 
threat.



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/BRUplB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

***************************************************************************
Berdikusi dg Santun & Elegan, dg Semangat Persahabatan. Menuju Indonesia yg Lebih 
Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.arsip.da.ru
***************************************************************************
__________________________________________________________________________
Mohon Perhatian:

1. Harap tdk. memposting/reply yg menyinggung SARA (kecuali sbg otokritik)
2. Pesan yg akan direply harap dihapus, kecuali yg akan dikomentari.
3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru; 
4. Posting: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
5. Satu email perhari: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
6. No-email/web only: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
7. kembali menerima email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ppiindia/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Kirim email ke