http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=123382&d=8&m=6&y=2009&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Kingdom

Monday 8 June 2009 (14 Jumada al-Thani 1430)


      Second case of swine flu detected
      Muhammad Humaidan | Arab News
     
        
      JEDDAH: A Saudi student disembarking from a flight from the United States 
at King Abdul Aziz International Airport in Jeddah has become the second 
confirmed case of swine flu in the Kingdom, health officials said yesterday.

      "The student returning from the United States after the completion of his 
studies there was found to be affected by H1N1 virus and all precautionary 
steps have been taken," Health Minister Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah said in a 
public statement. "The sick student flew on board Saudi Arabian Airlines Flight 
32 coming from Washington. He boarded Saudi Arabian Airlines Flight 1108 for 
his onward journey to Dammam at 7 a.m. yesterday." Director of the Health 
Department in Jeddah Dr. Sami Badawood told Arab News that the confirmation 
came after a medical examination. "The swab samples from his mouth and nose 
were examined and tested positive for the disease," he said.

      The man, whose name and age has not been released, was informed by 
airport personnel manning recently installed thermal imaging cameras aimed at 
detecting fevers in passengers.

      The Health Ministry is urging all passengers on both flights to contact 
the Health Department in Jeddah at 02-664-0288 and 02-664-0256 as soon as 
possible.

      The first case of swine flu in Saudi Arabia was detected in a Filipino 
nurse returning from vacation in the Philippines on Wednesday. She developed 
symptoms three days after arriving in the Kingdom and was tested during checks 
at King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, where she works.

      Al-Rabeeah said the nurse had been quarantined and was getting medical 
attention. He said the authorities investigated all those who had been in 
contact with the woman, including family members. No other cases were 
discovered, but the family was quarantined for 72 hours to ensure they were 
free of the virus.

      Al-Rabeeah said the detection of the case came within the ambit of 
efforts being made by the Health Ministry to monitor developments concerning 
the virus. According to sources at the King Faisal Specialist Hospital and 
Research Center, the nurse lives in the Kingdom with her husband and three 
children.

      The Ministry of Health has set up hot lines for reporting H1N1 cases: 
01-487-5511(extensions 333, 391 and 392). The lines are open from 8 a.m. to 11 
p.m. on working days.
     


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke