http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/indonesia-web-monitoring-plan-panned/358890

February 16, 2010
Ismira Lutfia

Indonesia Web Monitoring Plan Panned

The Ministry of Communication and Information Technology is facing growing
objections to its plan to create a monitoring team with the power to order
Internet service providers to block Web sites that contain content it
determines is illegal.

Bloggers and media activists say a proposed ministry regulation currently being
circulated may violate existing media laws, and poses a threat to freedom of
expression in cyberspace. They also say the draft is a knee-jerk reaction to
recent publicized cases of Internet abuse, such as the discovery of an online
underage child trafficking and prostitution ring in East Java that used
Facebook and Yahoo Messenger to find recruits.

Bambang Harymurti, the Press Council's new deputy chairman, said on Monday that
the council would file an official objection with the ministry about the
proposed regulation because it had the potential to violate press and
broadcasting laws by restricting what journalists could and could not report.

The Alliance of Independent Journalists (AJI) also voiced concerns that the
draft regulation would restrict press freedom.

But the ministry's spokesman, Gatot Dewa Broto, countered that the draft
regulation was "not related to the press, since [the monitoring team] will not
act as a censorship body that will monitor Web sites on a daily basis."

"We will not have the [technological] ability to do that anyway," he added.

Gatot said the Multimedia Content Team would instead act on public complaints
about disturbing content, and would only order Internet service providers to
block Web sites that it felt were displaying material already banned under
Indonesian law.

The 30-member team would include civil servants and private sector staff, so as
to prevent abuse of power by the government, he added.

"We did use the Press Law as a reference in drafting the regulation, but in
regard to upholding press freedom," Gatot said, adding that only Internet
service providers would face sanctions for allowing access to improper Web
content.

"It will be imposed on the Internet service providers, not the press."

While AJI acknowledged that the draft regulation did refer to the Press Law, it
said it did not clearly exempt content provided by media organizations.

"The ambiguous definition of 'illegal content' poses a threat to the press
because Clause 3 in the draft states that pornographic content is illegal,
while there is no definition of pornography in the draft and this is open to
multiple interpretations," AJI said in a press release.

Communication Minister Tifatul Sembiring, currently on an official trip to
Europe, is a member of the conservative Islam-based Prosperous Justice Party
(PKS) who has previously spoken out against illicit content on television and
the Internet. He once publicly claimed that natural disasters were a
consequence of immoral television programming.

Noted Indonesian blogger Enda Sumarsono said that the draft did not specify
what action would be taken should the monitoring body find disturbing content
on extremely popular, foreign-based Web sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

"They might [propose] to block access to those Web sites as well," he said. "I
think this draft mainly deals with tackling the negative effects of the
Internet, and it does not talk about prevention or empowerment."

Gatot said the draft regulation remained open for public comment and debate
until Friday.

"We may extend the deadline, but we may also close it by Friday and rework it
further with the responses we've received," he said. "Once we come up with a
new proposal, we will introduce it again for public debate."

Related articles
Indonesian Internet Bill Could Lead to Censorship
11:28 PM 15/02/2010

Slander and Unity: The Year Online in Indonesia
3:50 PM 29/12/2009

What Happens to You Today Could Make It to the Pages of 'A Day on the Planet'
5:42 PM 08/09/2009

China Hits Back at Critics of Web-Filtering Software Requirement
12:13 AM 10/06/2009

An Ode to Letter Writing
5:24 PM 25/01/2010