http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/papua-tribe-files-32b-lawsuit-against-freeport/362747

March 08, 2010 
Heru Andriyanto

 
Freeport McMoRan operates this mine in Papua. (AFP Photo)

Papua Tribe Files $32b Lawsuit Against Freeport

Papua's Amungme tribe on Monday lodged a new class-action lawsuit against US 
mining giant Freeport-McMoRan seeking $32.5 billion in material and 
non-material damages for the alleged illegal acquisition of its ancestral land. 

The action, filed at the South Jakarta District Court, came after an initial 
lawsuit filed last August collapsed and a second attempt to sue the company 
received no response in October. 

"Previously, our lawsuit covered illegal land acquisition, environmental damage 
and human rights violations. This time, we have broken down our lawsuit and 
will first focus on land acquisition," Titus Natkime, a lawyer for the tribe, 
told the Jakarta Globe. "Next month, we may file new cases of environmental 
damage and rights violations." 

Monday's lawsuit was directed at the company's local unit, PT Freeport 
Indonesia, the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources and the Papua governor. 

The tribe is demanding Freeport pay $2.5 billion in material damages and $30 
billion in non-material damages for the 2.6 million hectares of land on which 
the mine is located in Timika, Mimika district, said another lawyer, Jhonson 
Panjaitan. The tribe claims the land was illegally acquired. 

"The forcible acquisition [of land] beginning in 1969 was made without the 
approval of the Amungme tribe, which is the traditional owner of the land, and 
the government never asked for the tribe's permission in allowing the 
acquisition," Jhonson said at the court. 

The lawsuit was lodged at the South Jakarta District Court because Freeport's 
representative office is located in the court's jurisdiction. 

"We also reported this case to the National Human Rights Commission," Jhonson 
said. 

The lawyers represent about 90 Amungme tribe members who live in the lowlands 
of a mountainous area in Mimika district, where Freeport operates its massive 
copper and gold mine. 

Unlike last year's lawsuit, the latest suit does not name PT Indocopper 
Investama, previously a Bakrie group company that reportedly owns a 9.36 
percent stake in Freeport Indonesia. 

Freeport responded to Monday's court filing the same way it has to earlier 
legal actions against the company. 

"Previous lawsuits against Freeport making similar baseless environmental and 
human rights claims have been dismissed in both Indonesian and United States 
courts due to the inability of the plaintiffs to present facts to support their 
allegations," Budiman Moerdijat, Freeport Indonesia's manager of corporate 
communications, told the Globe in an e-mail. 

Budiman said that Freeport had abided by all the existing laws and government 
regulations on land ownership and had become a pioneer among multinational 
companies related to the issue. 

He added that the company and the Amungme and Kamoro tribes had reached several 
agreements on land issues and that the company had sponsored various 
development programs to improve the prosperity of residents living near its 
mine. 

The company has said that it established a land rights trust fund in 2001 for 
the Amungme and Kamoro tribes, to which it had contributed $27 million through 
2008, with a plan to make contributions of $1 million annually.




Related articles
Papua, Indonesia Eye Stakes in Freeport
8:54 PM 04/03/2010

Ambush In Papua Sparks Manhunt
12:04 AM 25/01/2010

Soldier Wounded in Attack Near Freeport Mine
10:20 PM 22/10/2009

Papua Attacks Aim to Provoke Rights Abuses, Military Says
11:07 PM 20/08/2009

Freeport Dismisses Papua Tribe Lawsuit as 'Baseless'
9:01 PM 09/08/2009


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke