Israel accuses Hizbullah of placing 15,000 rockets near Blue Line
By Patrick Galey and Agence France Presse (AFP)
Daily Star staff
Monday, September 06, 2010

 Listen to the Article - Powered by

BEIRUT: The investigation into the blasts which hit a three-storey building in
southern Lebanon on Friday continued over the weekend amid Israeli claims that
Hizbullah had moved a substantial amount of rockets closer to the Blue Line in
anticipation of fresh hostilities.

The explosions at a suspected arms depot close to the village of Shehabiyeh are
being looked at by a team of investigators which includes members of the
Lebanese Army and the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

Israeli military spokeswoman Lieutenant Colonel Avital Leibovich told the
Associated Press on Saturday that footage obtained by one of its intelligence
drones proved the explosions emanated from a residential building used as a
Hizbullah arms cache.

She alleged that the Shehabiyeh incident was the third of its kind this year
and that Hizbullah was actively maintaining several weapons stores close to the
Blue Line - in contravention of international resolutions. Leibovich claimed
the party had ammunition silos dotted around 160 southern towns and villages.

Following the blasts, Israel's Ambassador to Washington, Michael Oren, accused
Hizbullah of placing 15,000 rockets along the Blue Line, some capable of
reaching southern Eilat.

"The Syrian-Iranian backed Hizbullah poses a very serious threat to Israel,"
Oren said. "Hizbullah today now has four times as many rockets as it had during
the 2006 Lebanon war. These rockets are longer-range. Every city in Israel is
within range right now, including Eilat."

Hizbullah has maintained its policy of refusing to comment on the make-up of
its arsenal, which some Israeli analysts estimate to comprise 40,000 warheads.
The party released a statement on Friday dismissing the Shehabiyeh incident as
"a fire."

Oren accused Hizbullah of actively maintaining its weapons, which if true would
constitute a violation of UN Security Council Resolution 1701 - drafted to end
the 2006 July War between Israel and Hizbullah and which stipulates no arms be
present in south Lebanon outside of state control.

"In 2006, many of their missiles were basically out in the open, in silos and
the Israeli air force was able to neutralize a great number of them," the
ambassador said.

"Today those same missiles have been placed under hospitals, and homes and
schools because Hizbullah knows full well if we try to defend ourselves against
them, we will be branded once again as war criminals," he claimed.

"We know Hizbullah has in violation of UN resolutions once again penetrated
southern Lebanon, transformed entire villages into armed camps and put in about
15,000 rockets along the Israeli border," Oren added.

Reports from Shehabiyeh suggested that men resembling Hizbullah members had
blocked initial Army and UNIFIL investigation teams from entering the blast
site. Individuals with communications equipment were seen confiscating rolls of
film from journalists and noting reporters' license plates at the scene.

UNIFIL spokesperson Neeraj Singh said that an investigation into the blasts was
under way and that members of the probe were given free access to the building
in question over the weekend.

"We have our investigations ongoing although we don't have an investigation
report yet. UNIFIL has been on top of things from the time the incident
happened," Singh told The Daily Star.

"The Sector West Commander [Brigadier General Giuseppe Nicola Tota] went to the
spot and went into the house in which the incident happened. We have had good
cooperation with the Lebanese Army on this and maintained a substantial
presence in the area," Singh said.

"On [Saturday] morning an investigation team visited the spot. It all went
smoothly and there was no obstruction whatsoever," he added.

A suspected Hizbullah arms cache exploded last summer close to the village of
Khirbet Silim. In October 2009, a rocket blew up in a garage at Tayr Felsay.
Hizbullah denied involvement in both blasts. - With AP, AFP

Read more:
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1&categ_id=2&article_id=119032#ixzz0ylv0NZg6

(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)