> Am I correct in what I said
> about the ZMI, that it should be avoided for Plone development in favour of
> the filesystem? Or is the filesystem advantage negated if no source code
> versioning system is required?

Developing via the ZMI will mostly be harder than working on the filesystem.
You will end up with a pile of Python scripts in skin layers and
elsewhere, and with many settings changed on portal tools here and
there.
The whole will be unstructured and obscure, and you will be hobbled in
the APIs that you can call in restricted Python scripts.

I really like the ZMI for quickly inspecting objects, e.g. using
  http://plone.org/products/docfindertab
and it can be useful for knocking out a quick fix in the 'custom'
folder, but it should certainly not be used for development work.

PS: About DocFinderTab. It has a big red warning: "This product has
not had a release in over 1 year and may no longer be maintained."
DocFinderTab is stable, and doesn't need frequent releases. I don't
think it's a good idea to show such an auto-generated warning to
everyone so prominently. At least it should be possible for
administrators or product owners to switch it off when inappropriate.

--