On 8/16/06, Dave Crozier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Up to this point I've never had a problem with VSS but this time the
Databases of changes became corrupt and(this must have happened some time
ago) and only came to notice when I wanted to go back to a previous version
of a project from 4 months ago. Hence the resort to good old backups as the
error in the database had just perpetuated itself.

Dave:

Sorry to hear about your source control problems. VSS is like VFP:
it's got a lot of good capabilities but has some severe liabilities as
well, and you need to understand what you've got. You wouldn't try to
share a DBF over the internet.

<shameless plug>I did do a fair amount of work in helping clients with
VSS problems. Many data problems can be recovered. There are some
techniques to automate maintenance, which I wrote up. See:
http://www.tedroche.com/papers.php and look for "SourceSafe
Maintenance"</plug>

That said, there are far better choices for source code control these
days. I've been using subversion for over a year and am quite
satisfied with that. However, I haven't tried to do any integrated
work with VFP or other Microsoft products.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC