I first read about it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/default.aspx

The primary reasons (posted in this blog entry) for this decision are lame.

My recommendation is to use the Email link on this page to express your
displeasure with
this bad decision. The person who blogs on this page is on the SQL Server team.
I have
been in correspondence with him concerning this issue.

It is my belief Microsoft's decision impacts billions of dollars invested by
ISVs and
independent consultants, and their clients who bought into the
SQL-Server-Fits-All
philosophy (which works great until Vista) trusting the platform was supported
on Windows
moving forward.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.