From: Charlie Coleman <colem...@acm.org>
To: pro...@mail.leafe.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:39 PM
Subject: [OT] Some things to expect

Well, I was waiting for the flood of post-election emails to die down but
things are happening so fast that my predictions may turn into yesterday's news.

As soon as I heard Obama won the election, I predicted trouble for the
mid-East. And that it'll eventually spill over into the rest of the world.

We know that Obama is no friend of Israel. He skipped the nation on his visit
to the mid-East where he stopped in almost every neighboring Arab nation. They
definitely took notice of that. And Obama's overtures to Islamic states, and
his lack of action when US citizens are attacked will continue to embolden them.

So where is this headed? Maybe something like this:
- Arab states now see the US as backing away from Israel. After all, we
re-elected Obama and it's pretty clear he prefers Islamic nations over Israel.
- Arab factions may start something against Israel. The intent would be to
provoke Israel into military action. It may not be an outright attack, it could
be simply spreading rumors or threats.
- Israel will take military action against the Arabs. It may be small, directed
attacks at first. This could be strikes into the closest danger  to Israel
(e.g. Gaza) or even over into Iran (nuclear facilities).
- Because of the "terrible militant Jews" the Arab world will attempt to rally
the United Nations against Israel because of those strikes. Not necessarily to
actually get action, but to at least stall the larger powers from getting
involved in the upcoming war.
- At this point, if they think the timing is right, the Arab nations will
launch an attack against Israel. But it may not be the typical conventional
attack - it may be masses of terrorist attacks. And Israel will of course
escalate its responses.
- If Iran or another Arab nation has a nuclear device, they will use it. It may
be small - and they may actually detonate it outside Israel's border because of
tight security. The desire would be to kill as many Jews as possible with
radioactive fallout.
- But if a nuclear device is used against Israel, we can expect a massive
nuclear retaliation. Probably in Mecca and Medina at least, and then going
after military capacity.

That's what it looks like from my chair. Of course, the Arabs may go for a
conventional type war as they've done before if they don't have the nuclear
bomb yet. If they go that route they'll very likely get pasted like they always
were in the past by Israel. But the Arabs may hope that they'll get support
from Russia/China and could win by attrition if the US won't come to Israel's
aid.

Now the rest of the world will get into the mix one way or another because of
the oil supply. Russia/China may even go so far as to help the Arabs get the
nuclear bomb for a promise of future oil. And if Russia/China think they can
get the Arabs to oil-starve the US, all the better. In the United States, as
the situation gets worse, our gas prices will go through the roof. This will
send our economy into a severe downturn like it did a while back when gas
prices rose sharply. And in our already weakened state, we're going to be in
rough shape. The Obama administration may take advantage of that situation to
"take control" of the oil industry (not likely as most people should definitely
see that as an attack on our economic system - but then we've been pretty blind
to what he's done already <shrug>). This will contribute to us essentially
ignoring Israel and the growing mid-East crisis.

I was thinking about writing this note last Friday but got side-tracked. And
now today I hear that Israel has performed surgical strikes into Gaza. They
killed the leader of the terrorist group there - Hamas I think it's called. And
now, of course, the Arabs are trying to incite themselves against Israel.
Things are in motion. Of course the timing isn't certain. There could be all
kinds of posturing and secret deals for months or a couple years. And I've
heard rumors that Israel has found large oil reserves on it's land. If that's
true you can bet the Arab countries will not sit by and let Israel develop into
a major oil producing nation. It looks like the stage for the final showdown
has been set.

-Charlie

http://leafe.com/archives/byMID/profox/5.2.0.9.2.20121114185643.05a6d...@incoming.verizon.net