From: ProFox [mailto:profox-boun...@leafe.com] On Behalf Of Paul McNett
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 11:55 AM
To: profox@leafe.com
Subject: Re: SET PRINTER TO NAME (psPrinter) in VFP 8 / Windows 7 64

On 12/4/12 6:39 AM, Ted Roche wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Paul McNett <p...@ulmcnett.com> wrote:
>
>> > I can't explain why, but setting the printer properties for the PS
>> > printer to "print directly to the printer" appears to have fixed
>> > the issue for this user.
>> > I've never
>> > had to do that before.
>> >

> That's a great clue we ought to file away. I suspect there's a change
> in the API/behavior of the print queue in Win7/64 that prevents VFP's
> redirection "to file" from working properly. Might be a Win7 thing, or
> a 32/64-bit thing, but that's a good trick to try.

I take back my solution to print directly to the printer. The user just
emailed to inform me that the print jobs are still PCL. Actually, the fax
server (hylafax) thinks they are PCL but in fact I've looked at the file and
it is PS although it is prepended with some non-PS junk like:

@PJL SET STRINGCODESET=UTF8

There are 8 of those such lines before we get to:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0

I also note that the file size jumped from about 60K to about 600K between
Windows XP and Windows7 using the same printer driver (HP LaserJet 2800 PS).
I need to wait until tonight to try to work around this but I'll try at
least:

1) experiment with different PS drivers (non-HP)
2) experiment with lowering the DPI (this one indicates in the comments that
it is
600 dpi which is way higher than needed)

Thanks and sorry for the misinformation on the fix.

Paul