On Fri, Dec 14, 2012, at 01:27 PM, Ted Roche wrote:

> For "rich-client" desktop apps, yes. But what about web-enabled apps?
> What
> does a Web Connect app care about whether the browser access it is Chrome
> on Android, Safari on iOS or IE9 on W8?

Well, it doesn't, but I'm still not seeing a whole lot of them. It's the
infrastructure as well - the whole Windows Server ecosystem might cost a
packet, tie you in to Microsoft, yada yada yada but it's still
compelling in terms of functionality and management.

> Really? Can you offer specifics? I don't use a lot of mobile. I'm mostly
> Linux laptop guy and just flub around with an Android tablet.

Only based on daily usage of an iPad/iPod and Android smartphone. iOS on
the iPad is great in some ways but .. mobile Safari seems to crash to
desktop regularly when presented with image-heavy pages, you can't jump
to the top or bottom of a long page without 20 seconds of flicking, lots
of the apps persist with this skeumorphic nonsense where an application
that presents things you can read  has to look like a wooden bookshelf.
The mail application has to have the account I use set up from scratch
periodically as it stops retrieving IMAP mail for no reason that I can
discern. Android is not without its faults of course but at least I
could root the phone and install Cyanogen or a number of other user
interfaces.