At 10:35 2013-04-10, Ted Roche <tedro...@gmail.com wrote:
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Paul McNett <p...@ulmcnett.com> wrote:

> I used to fantasize saying "sorry, I'm not a Windows guy". But the truth
> is, Windows
> is where all the easy consulting money is.

Well, when they pay you to say "Turn it off and turn it on again and see if
that fixes it..." and it DOES 90% of the time... :)

     But that 10% is really nasty.

I did a bit of work recently to change the tax handling on an old Access database system. The new tax setup -- actually a reversion to a previous but you probably do not want the British Columbia political history -- went into effect on April 1.

It was much easier for me to make the changes in advance, have it all tested, and then show up again on the right day to put the changes into effect. My client was quite happy to pay me for the last bit. Had it not worked out for whatever reason, it would have been troublesome for them.

And yes, I did find a glitch in the setup that apparently prevented the change from working. Actually, it was that the program icon on one system was for an old version of the database, not the shortcut that it should have been.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko