In mathematics it is called the "combinatorial" problem. Start with one package and place it in the container then fit another against it. Then fit another package against these two. And so on. Now go back to the first package and place it in a new position and try all of the remaining combinations. Essentially you must test every combination of every package in every position in the container. The number of combinations is enormous.

The linear programming algorithm in mathematics can get close to a reasonable solution.
Nicholas Geti

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Taylor" <fbtay...@gmail.com>
To: "ProFox Email List" <profox@leafe.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 4:39 PM
Subject: Re: Container packing optimisation

It is complex.  When I moved from PA to AZ, a friend of mine that was a
packaging engineer was in charge of fitting the various sized boxes and
items on the truck.  It was like a giant jig-saw puzzle.  When we got to
AZ, we unloaded the truck into my brother's garage because the house wasn't ready yet. Two weeks later, when the house was ready, we had the same size truck as we moved in, but it took 2 truck loads to move. And those 2 truck
loads sure seemed like they were full, but they were not packed as
carefully as the PA-AZ move was.

Fred