> Are there any real benefits to using abstract classes between one's immediate > subclasses of all VFP controls, and one's first layer of concrete classes, in VFP? If
> so, what are they?

I don't think so, but I'm rusty with VFP. I guess it's kind of painful in VFP to
reparent visual classes (coded classes is easy because you can just search and
replace the old parent class name with the new). Now that I say that, it's therefore easy with visual classes too because you just find/replace in the .vcx class library table. But you if I remember correctly it isn't easy if even possible via the IDE.

Yeah, you can "REPLACE ALL classloc FOR... " in a .vcx table. One table at a time.

Actually, as preparation for these changes, I needed a way to be able to shift application code back and forth between various modified versions of my framework, so I spent quite a bit of time modifying my framework's ProjectHook class to do just that kind of thing. I can not only move a project from one place to another, I can move the framework or rename it or change it, and in a couple of steps the ProjectHook will take care of all of the pathing issues for me, both for project files and internally in the classloc fields of application-specific .vcx and .scx tables.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org