That was a really interesting article so I took the example, expanded it to
include an object property and ran the test on my system.

Here are my results:
---------------------------------
y=1
nsec=SECONDS()
FOR i = 1 to 1000000
        *     x=y                       && Results: 0.377
        *     x=m.y                     && Results: 0.151
        *     x=fld255                  && Results: 0.328
        *     x=test.fld255             && Results: 0.201
        *     x=objSession.nValue       && Results: 0.377
ENDFOR
?SECONDS()-nsec
---------------------------------

Most of my work is done moving data through temporary cursors and I ALWAYS
reference fields with the table.field method shown in the fourth test. I
also often use object properties to store static variables. While it looks
like I'm getting the best results using table.field access; I'm not getting
any performance advantage using object properties or by not using the m.
prefix. The good news is now I know if I'm going to do a LOT of iterations
with memory variables, there are  some performance gains to be picked up by
simply using the m. notation. I think I may keep these results in mind when
I'm doing refactoring on my function library!

This has been quite the learning experience and I really appreciate Ken for
sharing that article! It also proves that no matter how long you've been
programming in ANY language there is always something new you can pick up.
Thanks!

Paul H. Tarver
Tarver Program Consultants, Inc.
Email: p...@tpcqpc.com