Why not rent when you need the vehicle as in your expample, not your
personal life.

To me the vehicle is freedom.  I don't like the cruise experience because I
have to give up all freedom of coming and going when I want to.  Having an
app on my phone is just intrusive to my life.  I need to get to the store
because I need two ingredients from the international food store for some
chili for this weekend.  I don't want to get a ride there and have to wait
for a second ride back.  My time is too valuable waiting for a cab by any
other name.