Actually, I wasn't endorsing the idea of the "state-owned vehicles" which
was part of Ed's comment. But I used the word "authority" because I'm
assuming even if it was a privately outsourced service, it would be heavily
regulated.

My point was more about the fact that I can just see someone eating in the
cars, leaving either their valuables or their trash in the cars, doing drugs
or drinking in the cars and all sorts of fun and wonderful stuff that we
can't even or won't imagine. Do you  want a car show up at your house to
take you and the family to a movie and find inappropriate stuff in the car?
Because you know it will happen. :)

The real challenge a privately held corporation will have in providing this
kind of service is one of liability. Just take a look at late night tv and
you can see how much litigation is generated by the drug industry. I'm
guessing that "Big Car Sharing" businesses would be just as much of a target
as "Big Pharma", "Big Food", etc. All it will take is one accident and the
attorneys will be lined up with class-action lawsuits ready to go.

However, I do see programming opportunities here:

1) Ride Order Processing and Customer Management Systems
2) Cleaning Schedule Management Systems
3) Maintenance Scheduling Systems
4) Compliance Management Systems
5) Web-Based & Mobile Based Ordering Systems
6) Customer History Tracking Systems (Where they been, where they are going,
who they spoke with, etc)
7) Audio Analysis of captured conversations while in transit (NSA & Homeland
notified only when necessary)
8) In Car Camera monitoring systems (legal purposes only such as in defense
of accidents, of course!)

Paul H. Tarver