On 2018-04-06 13:28, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

  3) Some other software might be expecting only values of the
particular size and if you do not make sure that the values are that
way, interesting things might happen.  For example, N(4) is just right
for four-digit numbers and that other program might be defined that
way.  If your declaration is 16-bit int ...  <I am sure you have a
good imagination>.  COBOL has numbers declared by number of digits as
does PL/I.  There may be other languages.

I noticed in Oracle there doesn't appear to be an Integer type; it's defined as something huge like N(36,0) if I recall correctly.