Why not create a single file - with a single record, a File Lock Flag. So - when a user goes to reindex files - they MUST Lock that one record 1st. Then, at the startup of your system - for regular users - the system must check that flag & record to see if someone locked it and is indexing files.

It's a thought...

-K-